Pancake Day (Tuesday 21st February 2023) will soon be upon on us, so why not use it as a great fun handwriting home exercise. Not only will you be helping your child to develop coordination, hand and finger strength and dexterity skills; you will also be sneaking a bit of reading and maths; three homework practises in one. Result!
A Traditional English Pancake Batter Mix
For a thin pancake batter mix:
- 100g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 270ml of milk or milk and water
- Sift the flour and salt together.
- Make a well in the flour and add the egg and enough milk (milk/water) to make a sticky mixture.
- Beat well, then gradually whisk in the remaining milk (milk/water).
- Keep in a cool place until ready to use, always whisk the batter before using.
An American Style Pancake Batter Mix
For a thick, sweet pancake batter mix:
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tea spoon baking powder
- 3 pinches of salt
- 1 egg
- 150ml of milk
- 30g caster sugar
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Stir in the caster sugar
- In another bowl, whisk the egg and milk together.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the flour and beat with a wooden spoon.
- If the mixture is left to stand for about half an hour the pancakes tend to have a lighter texture.